Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week 7

Tuesday: On Tuesday our class started a video on different hate crimes that have been recorded throughout the history of the United States of America. Sadly, Racism still occurs every day in the United States of America. Even though a good portion of americans think racism isn't a huge deal.(Which isn't true) A scary thought is that a lot of these crimes geared toward racism will often times end up in some sort of hate crime. Many people throughout the United States don't even know what a hate crime is! Even I don't know the legal differences between what is and isn't a hate crime. The way I think of it is when somebody commits an act of violence just because of someone's race, gender, sexual orientation, ETC. I believe that this is something that should've been put to a halt a long time ago. But, as we learned in class, everyone needs to individually start leading by example and start making the world easy to live in not only for ourselves but for all around us as well.
Thursday the 27th: Today we began where we left off in the video. A lot of the time it talks about the columbine shooting. When the shooting actually happened I really feel as if I was too young to understand it. But when we were in middle school we had a assembly called Rachel's Dream. This assembly talked about the Rachel that died in the columbine shooting. This assembly helped me understand the situation better and helped me bring to light how scary the situation really would've been. Luckily throughout all my years of school, I haven't experienced anything close to this situation. Next in the video there was a discussion about the different hate people show. The man said that the reason why people hate is because it's easy to hate. I think this is really true. I just don't think that hating someone because of something they can't control is a waste of everyone's time, including your own. You never know, you could be hating on someone that really could be your best friend if you got to know them. I can't quite pinpoint what this video is really about but if I were to say one thing I would have to say that they are teaching to stop such hatred and actions before they happen. To not be so oblivious to something and to act on it before it gets out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment