Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Week 5

Tuesday January 11: Today in class we had a nice lady from Ole Miss talk to us about the Islam's and about the prophet Mohammed. I learned many of this back in high school but learned from this that I didn't remember a lot of the information. It's nice to have a little reminder lecture because I forgot how interested I was in this. One interesting fact that I learned is that when Mohammed was introduced as a prophet he was also introduced to all the other prophets. And when he was finished with that the other prophets asked Mohammed if he could lead the group in prayer. We also learned that the book Quran was burned in America by Christian ministers, being that they are so against the book. I found it interesting how she told us what the media pictures the south as, because the way she described it is exactly the way I picture the south in America. Walking into the class I was actually pleasantly surprised that a woman with a thick southern accent was teaching us about Mohammed and the Islam. When you think of the south you think that they only accept people such as themselves and are so pro America that they cannot understand and respect other people's religion. This to me was the most interesting part of the lecture. Today we have woman giving a lecture to us about people that are almost completely opposite of her people. The stereotypical down south wouldn't know barely anything about Islamic people, but she is so intelligent about the history and the culture of the Islamic people that she could teach our class today. I don't think that the intercultural communication was her teaching us about the Islamic culture. I think it's who she is and how interested and knowledgeable she is in this specific topic

No comments:

Post a Comment