Thursday, March 6, 2014

Week 8

Tuesday: In class on Tuesday we played a version of monopoly that I actually found quite enjoyable. I thought that it wasn't only an activity that helped us get involved and kept us interested. I found that this activity "put myself in somebody else's shoes" without physically doing it. It was weird playing a game of monopoly and not being able to buy some of the time. It's like there was some sort of head start for those who were chosen a white person. I ended up losing a couple dollars, which I think was pretty good because I had no strategy or no idea what to do. I really like this activity. Especially with all the different cultures that were even in our little group of 5. It's better that we had such a variety in our group because I believe that it made the game more interesting in that we all had to switch roles and try to do something that we truly haven't done before. Which is try to live in a different time as different people trying to just make it by.
Thursday: Today we watched an influential video on suicide with teenagers that have came out and said that they were gay. I believe that this video is very influential, not only because of the topic being discussed but because the person that is speaking out to us is so emotional about it and he's been through it before. It's amazing the pain and suffering that gay people go through everyday. You'd think that in the land of the free we would be able to accept everyone as equal. And I myself believe that it's a disgrace to ourselves that we are such hypocrites and so terrible to people that maybe a little different in our eyes, but at the same time they're still American. Thankfully, I was raised by a mother that is very accepting and very understanding of such situations. When I was younger my mother brought over one of her gay friends for dinner. At first I was very young and naïve about it and thought to myself that he was weird just cause he was a little different. Then as the dinner went on I realized that he was hilarious, he loved my mothers food, and could carry on a conversation for hours and hours. I realized throughout the dinner that he was no different than we were. And now every time my mother says he's coming over for dinner I get excited because I know my stomach will be sore after from laughing so hard. Pretty much what I got out of this experience is the only difference between me and him were our sexual orientation. And what I hear a lot is that everyone's common goal in life is to fall in love with someone you'll be with forever. If we as straight people have the right to love whoever, shouldn't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment